The magazine I produced follows the codes and conventions of
the football genre for several reasons. The front cover and article page on the
double page spread both share the same conventions of bold and bright colours
to make it stand out the reader. The bold text and large masthead are also
common throughout my magazine and many of the same genre as I have researched
this by looking at many other football magazines. e.g. FourFourTwo, MOTD
Magazine. I have included the
masthead in a circle in the corner of the page with a background of AstroTurf
on the home page and one of the article pages. I decided to make the background
to be shown as AstroTurf rather than just a colour as this represents football,
specifically because the magazine is about 5-a-side football and that is what
surface it is predominantly played on. I saved and exported magazine pages as a
jpeg file to make it into an image to make it easily to upload it to my online
blog. The main image of the football on the front page is a strength as it is
of a high quality due to the very good quality of camera on my smartphone.
On my double page spread I have included a page with just a
main image of a football trophy. This is a main background image which fills
the entirety of the page. I thought this would be effective as it clearly
defines the genre whilst also being aesthetically pleasing. The images of both the football pitch and the trophy are both taken at night time as the night represents when 5-a-side football is predominantly played at.
The way I have presented my article. I have placed the
article right below the image of the 5-a-side Goals pitch. This is effective as
it shows the audience a visual representation of the 5-a-side centre. This is
an extremely common convention in magazines so I decided to use it to make my
magazine look more professional. I believe the articles length is appropriate
as it isn’t too much text on one page as this may make the readers bored. I
made sure not to make it too formal as this could also bore the reader.
Microsoft Word has a tool to analyse the reading age of the text so I decided
to test this as my magazine will be published to be read by any ages of those
interested. It turned iut that my article could be understood by readers over
the age of 7 which is highly beneficial to me to reach a wider audience.
Another tool I used on Microsoft word was spell check to ensure no spelling
errors occur to ensure it all looks professional and makes sense.
I included a splash to show an insight of the main article
and what the magazine is about. I didn’t include too much information on the
home page to intrigue the audience to read further.
I also included a tag to show the audience that the magazine
isn’t just a standard football magazine, it is specifically for 5-a-side. This makes
the magazine a bit different as the majority of football magazines focus on the
mainstream football leagues such as the Premier League.
Below shows how I opened up a new Photoshop document for my front cover with the correct magazine page sizes:
This is my article before it was inserted into the double page spread on InDesign:
No doubt 5 a side is growing every year but our job is to keep the growth going and
encourage even more football enthusiasts to try it out. It is a great way of getting the
locals involved with sports and it is also a very good socialising hobby. No matter your size, age, or even fitness, 5 a side can be for everyone! If competitive, small sided and skilful football is your thing then you might really want to consider 5 a side football. It can be a great way of getting an intense and enjoyable workout with a bunch of
friends. Despite the official name ‘5 a side’ it’s often played by even four or seven
players on each side, so however many of your friends there are you can still get
involved.
Goals are one of the UK’s most popular providers of 5 a side football as they have 46 centres nationwide and they continue to expand further. Their state of the art centres allows players to have a brilliant game of football on all weather, top quality
AstroTurf surrounded by netting so your ball never goes out of play! They offer
multiple games of football including 5 and 7 a side tournaments and leagues 7 days a week.
I got the chance to visit my local goals centre not too long ago and managed to
interview a current 5 a side player. He said ‘It is a great opportunity to exercise with
your friends, it has everything - fun, competitive, passion and motivation. I’d really
like to see more teams join the leagues here’.

The double page spread of my magazine appears to fit the codes and conventions of the style of football/sports magazines. The spread features a masthead which is the same as the front cover as it links with the purpose of the article. I also have a defined sub heading which allows for the article to be easily interpreted as it is very self-explanatory. The DPS also features a considerable amount of imagery to support the article which is beneficial to fit the genre and conventions of magazines in general. The images themselves also share similarities with the football and sports genre as they feature 2 of the most important features of Football and 5-a-side; A football and a trophy. The article is set out into 2 columns which is another convention of magazines. This is an effective way of making the page not look too text-heavy as it splits the article up into 2.
The article for my double page spread links to the client brief as it revolves around involving the community in local sports. for example, it persuades local football enthusiasts to participate in their local 5-a-side leagues. This can bring together the community as hundreds of members can play together each day.
Below is a screenshot of the InDesign document including the dimensions for the page size and margins for the contents page.
No doubt 5 a side is growing every year but our job is to keep the growth going and
encourage even more football enthusiasts to try it out. It is a great way of getting the
locals involved with sports and it is also a very good socialising hobby. No matter your size, age, or even fitness, 5 a side can be for everyone! If competitive, small sided and skilful football is your thing then you might really want to consider 5 a side football. It can be a great way of getting an intense and enjoyable workout with a bunch of
friends. Despite the official name ‘5 a side’ it’s often played by even four or seven
players on each side, so however many of your friends there are you can still get
involved.
Goals are one of the UK’s most popular providers of 5 a side football as they have 46 centres nationwide and they continue to expand further. Their state of the art centres allows players to have a brilliant game of football on all weather, top quality
AstroTurf surrounded by netting so your ball never goes out of play! They offer
multiple games of football including 5 and 7 a side tournaments and leagues 7 days a week.
I got the chance to visit my local goals centre not too long ago and managed to
interview a current 5 a side player. He said ‘It is a great opportunity to exercise with
your friends, it has everything - fun, competitive, passion and motivation. I’d really
like to see more teams join the leagues here’.

The double page spread of my magazine appears to fit the codes and conventions of the style of football/sports magazines. The spread features a masthead which is the same as the front cover as it links with the purpose of the article. I also have a defined sub heading which allows for the article to be easily interpreted as it is very self-explanatory. The DPS also features a considerable amount of imagery to support the article which is beneficial to fit the genre and conventions of magazines in general. The images themselves also share similarities with the football and sports genre as they feature 2 of the most important features of Football and 5-a-side; A football and a trophy. The article is set out into 2 columns which is another convention of magazines. This is an effective way of making the page not look too text-heavy as it splits the article up into 2.
The article for my double page spread links to the client brief as it revolves around involving the community in local sports. for example, it persuades local football enthusiasts to participate in their local 5-a-side leagues. This can bring together the community as hundreds of members can play together each day.

No comments:
Post a Comment